Sunday, August 11, 2013

Trek

So this year August 6-9th I had the amazing opportunity to go to Trek again for the second time! I gotta say it was a great experience and it definitely helped my testimony grow of this true Church! I was lucky enough to have been called to be a Ma on Trek. The picture below is of my Family. They are definitely a cheery bunch and I grew to love them very much. Without them and my Heavenly Father I don't think I would've been able to make it all the way.
My Family The H.O.T.T P.W.C (Happy On The Trail Pioneers With Class)
On our first day we had a long six hour drive from Utah to Wyoming! There I got to know all of my family members name's along with who would be my "husband" for the next three days. Once we arrived at Martin's Cove we walked for about 8 Miles total the whole entire thing. It really wasn't easy especially since it was our first day and we had to wake up much earlier than normal but we all made it safely. Along the path we had to cross the river from what you can see below. This experience came with a story, that when the Pioneers got to a huge river sometime during the winter these two missionaries volunteered to carry across all women, children, and whomever needed help across the icy river. Because of their service many saints were able to get across safely and dry.
River crossing
The following day we had to walk for a total of 15 miles. Here we girls had the privilege to do the Women's Pull up a steep hill while all the men were at the top watching us. This pull was to allow all the girls to know what it felt like to all those Women pioneers who had to pull their handcarts all by themselves sometimes  even while carrying their sick husbands or children on the cart all the way to Zion. I have to admit it was a very difficult pull for my girls and I. Before we started the Women's Pull we watched as the men climbed up the steep hill and we saw how they kind of struggled to get up there. We all got a bit nervous. My family decided to say a little prayer for strength and to be able to endure the pull all the way to the end. Once we started I felt like it was a bit easy at first but once it got really steep my thighs began to burn excruciatingly. I wanted to give up. I honestly didn't think I would make it but then all of a sudden out of nowhere our cart felt lighter and I knew then that My Heavenly Father and maybe even the Spirit of all those Pioneer women were answering our Prayers by helping us push the cart up the hill. Once we were up we had to keep going until we reached the truck that had our water which was about a mile. We passed all the men and they took off their hats in respect for all of us women who were pulling our own carts up the steep hill. Many of them had tears in their eyes and others felt completely useless since they weren't allowed to help us. When we finally arrived at the truck my family and I gathered together and said a Prayer of gratitude to my Heavenly Father. Never in my life had I felt such a strong spirit come over me as that day. Our guys were finally allowed to join us and I could see in their eyes respect for all of us girls. My brother tells me that what he felt when we were all struggling to get up the steep hill was pain in his chest because he felt completely useless and wanted to help us so much but knew that no matter what he couldn't. He say's, "I never like to cry in front of people but watching you girls pull that handcart up with so much strain that before I even knew it I was crying and there was no stopping it." This experience has helped me grow closer to my Heavenly Father and my appreciation and respect has grown for all those Pioneer women who had to endure such hardship for even a longer time that I had to this day. I can honestly say that there truly is a God up there without a doubt and he will listen to each one of us for we are all his children.

My amazing Ward before the Women's pull
On our Third and final day to walk we also had to do a total of 15 miles. We were told that this one would be a little tougher than the last ones because we would be climbing up Rocky Ridge. Here is were many of the Pioneers perished as they made this walk and there stands a monument for them. The day started out really hot and we were all sore from the previous day, especially us women. Rocky Ridge was definitely a hard climb. There were so many times I came close to twisting my ankle, so much that it left it pretty sore by the end. I received many blisters on this walk along with the ones from the Women's pull. We had to go through a hug mud pile which sadly got into my blister and had to get it cut open later on in the day so it wouldn't get infected. We were all so very tired and sunburned. Along this trail it started to rain on us pretty badly. So much that the raindrops actually hurt when they hit your skin and not only that but the winds were pretty hard and cold. Mud got stuck to our shoes which made it a little bit harder to walk. My family decided to sing songs to pass time faster and boy did it work. When we had only 4 miles left to walk we stopped for a little rest and a tiny lesson from the stake Trek Committee. Here we got to find out who from our family would "die" on the trail. At least one family member from each family group died. From my family I lost my son Caleb. It was quite saddening because he would no longer be with us, and enter Zion together. All those family members that "died" on the trail had to stay apart from us a little a ways. This got me thinking, how many Pioneers had to enter Zion without a loved one who they lost on the trail. This thought really saddened me but I knew that they were all finally reunited in our Heavenly Father's Kingdom. I remember when we were getting ready to leave my "husband" John cried out for Caleb because we could no longer see him. He would yell out to Caleb and tell him even though he's gone we would still take him to Zion with us even if we had to push him in the handcart all the way there. I wonder how many families wished they could take their loved ones bodies with them to Zion but were unable to and had to leave them buried along the trail with so many others. This very night we all gathered together all the youth that came on this Trek and we had a Testimony night with the Stake presidency and leaders. Honestly this was one of the most spiritual Testimony nights I've been too. I could feel the love and spirit we all shared with one another. So many youth wanted to get up their to share their testimony that it was a race to see who got to the microphone first but each one was wonderful. 
My Ward at the bottom of Rocky Ridge
On our last day on Trek we went over to the grave site of all those who had perished going up Rocky Ridge. It was so hard to hold back my tears as each of their stories were told. So many as young as 5 years old and as old as their late 60's. I could feel their presence their as we took the time to honored all those saints who didn't make it to Zion. To be honest I was kind of sad to leave. I learned to love my family I had been assigned too, I knew I wouldn't be able to have the spirit with me constantly once I returned home. Being on sacred grounds helped me to obtain a greater testimony and to live kind of like a missionary. I believe this was a great experience for me as a future missionary because I had the opportunity of getting to know people I didn't even know and learned to love them greatly, I got to experience walking everyday and to pray constantly, and I had the opportunity to not only share the gospel but also live it and for that I am extremely grateful. 

I know with all my heart that this church is true. That our Heavenly Father not only hears our prayers but also answers them. He gives each of us trials so we may overcome them and become stronger just like the Pioneers endured so many things to get to Zion that once they reached it they were spiritually strong. I know that we are never alone on this earth. Heavenly Father and our Savior will always walk along side of us and comfort us when we need comforting. They know each one of us individually, better than we know ourselves and will always know what is best for us. I'm so grateful to be a part of this amazing loving church and I hope to be able to bring so many others into it so they too may experience all the happiness and blessings we as members receive. I love each one of you my dear readers even though I don't know you personally but my spirit does we are after all children of a Heavenly Father. I pray that you search your hearts and the scriptures to figure out if this church is true my dear Brothers and Sisters, for I know it is.  May God Bless each one of you. I leave these things in the name of Jesus Christ Amen. 

Ether 12: 27

27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment